Info on L6

Trip asked:

>I am intrested in finding out the history of the L6 model here in the USA.
>Does anyone on the list know of a web page that contains information on
>this model?  Do any of the members have first hand knoweledge of this car?
>Owning or maintaining?  Was this car sold in any other country?  I am
>considering purchasing a '86 model with 100k on the odometer.  Any pitfalls
>of this particular model.

I am just about positive that '87 was the first year for the L6 as such, and
technically, also the last year, although I have an '88 635CSi that even the
dealer calls an L6.  However, only the '87's were marked as an L6.
Basically, an L6 is a 635CSi automatic with the full, and I mean FULL,
leather treatment.  Not just the seats, but also the full doors, headliner,
sun visors, console, rear parcel shelf, handbrake and dash.  After 87, the
88's and 89's were the same, but without the leather dash (and the very top
portion of the doors).  Seems the leather dashes didn't hold up too well and
were especially prone to warping and cracking.

Since these cars share the same engine/drive train as the same era 5 series
cars, parts and maintenance are not that bad.  Parts unique to the 6er can
be pricey, however.  The driver side rubber door seal lists for $350.00, for
example.

Problem areas tend to be:
1.  Air Conditioning.  This tends to be marginal in all of these cars.  I
think 87 was the first year for the dual units - see if the one you are
looking at has a rear unit/cooler in a console between the rear seats.
2.  TRX tires/wheels.  If yours has these, you'll sooner or later wind up
buying new wheels to replace them, since the Michelins are getting real hard
to find and are ridiculously expensive for a tire that was never the
greatest to begin with, particularly in the wet.
3.  Rust.  Check around the rear taillights, and around the wheel arches.

For more information, check out the big coupe groupe, at
http://web2.airmail.net/grills/b_c_g_FAQ/b_c_g_FAQ.html for a ton of good
information.  They also run a digest like this one, dedicated just to the
BMW coupes (and essentially, just the 6ers).  Also, there is a message board
at www.bimmer.org dedicated to the E24 coupes.

Hope this helps, and good luck.

Mike Barrett
BMW CCA 111632