Re: Marbles in the transmission

At 03:16 PM 9/1/99 -0400, Jason wrote:
>About 2 months ago there was a thread about the sound of marbles in
>the transmission when the clutch pedal was released,  but went away
>when the clutch was pressed.  I don't remember what the outcome of
>that was.  Could someone remind me?  And yes,  I have marbles in
>my transmission ($$$$$$).

I have a Getrag 280 ('88 M5) and from what I understand, most of the
trannies from my era have this sound (I do).  It's simply a matter of low
tolerances and doesn't hurt the tranny.  Lot's of E28's, E24's and E30's
have this.  Don't worry is the advice I got and that was 4 years ago.  No
problems, just noise.

BTW, I remember from many moon's ago that it wasn't a good idea to sit at a
light with the clutch depressed (in case you're thinking of doing this to
eliminate the noise).  Wears out the T/O bearing.  Don't know if this is
true, but it sounded logical so I don't.  I live with the noise.  Redline
helped.

FWIW.

Jerry Chyo
'88 M5