Re: Irish BMWs

> First, the engine displacements for all models are all over the
> map. I noticed that a 316 is offered that I've not seen in the
> U.S. They're very popular. I saw them all over - in the North and
> the Republic (South) as well.

   And you'll see them on the European continent as well.

> Other models (5 and 7 series) also have engine displacements that
> differ from those offered in the U.S.  I'm wondering why this
> is...is it because it makes BMWs more affordable (cars are taxed in
> Ireland based on the size/power of the engine)?

   There's a tex in most European countries based on engine
displacement.  One threshold is a 2.0 liters which is why the 2002 had
1.997 liters displacement.   Then there's the price of gasoline, like
3-4 times higher than in the US (except in California where prices are
quite high now).

> Lastly, I noticed that a lot of BMWs in Ireland come with cloth
> seats versus leather/leatherette.

   Next time in Europe, pick up a BMW car brochure from a dealer.
You'll be amazed at how much stuff is optional in Europe but standard
on U.S. models.    Even on the 7er, A/C is optional in Europe, for
example.

- --
'88 735i 157K, 5sp manual, Dinan prepared.
BMW CCA #48432