Re: Mann oil filter for M20 engine

I'm not even sure what a BMW oil filter would cost, Allan, or who the
manufacturer would be. I've never bought an oil filter from a dealership
in my life. I'd assume it would be made by one of the German filter
manufacturers (Bosch, Mann, Mahle, Knecht), but I'm not sure which.

 I bought an armful of oil filters awhile back from a highly respected
independent garage (Jenny Morgan's Little Car Shop in Milwaukee) that
were the Mahle brand. That's assurance enough for me that they're up to
the job.

I don't know if you've seen this site, but it has a pretty good
examination of the innards of German oil filters. As he points out (and
I've confirmed), many Bosch filters sold in the US aren't even made in
Germany anymore. They're still well-made, according to the study's
statistics. Mann, Mahle, Wix and OEM Volkswagen (US Bosch?) also earn
high marks.

http://minimopar.simplenet.com/oilfilterstudy-german.html

Russ Maki

Allan Williams wrote:

> I used the genuine BMW part on our E30 325i. It cost us NZ$24, and the
> equivalent "Ryco" (cheap repco (FLAPS) parts) was gonna cost NZ$17.
>
> On inspection there was no point in buying the cheap one... it didn't even
> have a non-return valve!
>
> I realise it's no help, but you might like to know.
>
> BTW what does a genuine BMW part cost in the US?
>
> Allan.

End of bmw-digest V9 #1208