Early 1990's 530i question

Geetings,

I am new to this digest and have a few questions regarding the 530i.  I
have been looking for a manual transimission, rear wheel drive european car
for a while.  There are so few miodels imported anymore.  I have considered
buying an early to mid 90's 530i.  Does anyone know why the shortblocks
have been replaced on so many of these cars at relatively low mileage?  Are
there any other pitfalls to buying this particular model?  Thanks in advance.

Trip Copeland
Atlanta Ga
1993 Alfa Romeo 164L
1983 Mercedes Benz 300d turbo