Re: 1999 323i Questions

Ted
Regarding some of your E46 questions.

>Xenon Headlights have some kind of automatic adjustment - I can't figure
>this one out though.  It's incredible, the lights have motors inside the
>ellipsoid part of it, and they move up and down every now and again (i.e.
>when I'm parked on a hill and I start the car) - it's weird, but what's up
>w/it?  Can you adjust these yourself?

You can set the aim of headlights the way you did the other kind (knobs at
the rear), but then the system compensates automatically for changes in
level of the car due to loading, accelerating and braking.
This system does NOT correct the aim if someone has miss-aimed the lights
with the adjustment knobs.

Auto-Levelling System
It does an initial calibration when the lights are first turned on, then it
adjusts them every 30 seconds after that if necessary.
It uses sensors on the front and rear suspension to detect load changes.
It uses speed signals to detect acceleration.
It uses the brake signal to detect braking situations.
When the car is accelerating, decelerating or braking the adjustment is
immediate if required.

Normally you will not see adjustments being made while driving - they are
slight and quick.

>(3) Holding down the ^ arrow (to unlock all doors on the key) will roll
down
>all the windows and open the sunroof - anyway to close all these from the
>remote?  I'd rather have that feature from the remote than the roll down
one.

So would most of us. They have the "convenience close" feature in Euroland -
but BMW will not allow it to be activated here (Lawyers - it's a wonder they
allow cars to have doors - might shut one on your hand you know !)

>(4) The Damn Foglight switch needs to be switched on MANUALLY

Yep - they sort of assume that it is not foggy all the time ( at least it
isn't here) - therefore it is not necessary to turn on the fogs each time
the car is started !

5) The little orange lights underneath the interior light in the front are
supposed to (I assume) softly glow and light up the climate control
area/radio.  Mine aren't bright at all, as a matter of fact they don't do
much.  I know in the E39 5 Series they glow beautifully, wondering if anyone
thought of switching the lights out of a 5 series.

You can try - but I don't think they are interchangeable.
I agree the light is nice in the 5 - makes it easy to see the console area
and takes away that "total darkness" feeling.  They should light the entire
cabin with those - maybe recess one above each grab handle.

Regarding protecting your headlight lenses.
After 2 winters I have not noticed much damage to the ones on my E39.
If necessary the front cover of the lights can be replaced separately from
the rear part that houses the HID's

Regarding other items - read the manual - 3 times.
Then wait 2 months and read it again (you will know why when you do it).

Cheers

Jim Cash
London, Ontario, Canada