RE: Broken rocker arm

I have an '89 325i, 240 k.  Yesterday without warning, the car starting
rumbling, and I lost a lot of power.  I just took off the head cover and

found the upper rocker arm (I think at the intake valve stem?) snapped
right off.

Has this ever happened to anyone?  Should I worry about others
cracking?  I'm probably going to have a shop do the work, but I'd like
to know if anyone has attempted this on their own.
Since the cylinder head will have to be removed, are there any upgrades
I can make to these components, (ie. camshaft, valves, rockers etc...)
<<<

Which rocker arm broke off? on my 88 528e, the first rocker arm broke.
This is an inherent problem (I'm told) with the E28 line of bimmers.
Check the cam...is it worn on the rocker arm that broke?  Mine was worn,
so I had to replace the cam and rocker arm and gave it a valve job while
I was at it.  I had 170k miles on it, so 240 is not bad.

You're taking it to a shop?  I had one look at mine and they gave me a
quote of $2,500!!  I said forget it, got the help of a friend and we did
it ourself...for no more than $500.  I got a good used cam, new rocker
arm, tming belt (why not...I was there!!), gasket set, new stem seals on
the valves, cleaned the valves.  I was surprised because with 170k
miles, the engine was clean when I tore it down.

I'd check the cam lobe to see if it had worn to the effect causing the
rocker arm to break.  Also, the shop will charge you an arm and a leg,
so consider doing it yourself if possible.  Get a Bentleys' they are
invaluable when working on a bimmer.

Dave
88 528e 222k miles and running strong