Muffler Clamps & Ansa Exhaust-E30

I just had a customer come back with an Ansa 325i exhaust (I really prefer
the factory mfg components to these) with a problem fitting the 2pc rear
muffler clamps.  The shape of the muffler must be slightly different from
the factory unit resulting in upper clamp studs which are about 1/2-3/4"
too short.

The fix is to put the upper clamps into a vice and cut the stud opposite
the hanger bracket flush with a hacksaw.  Drill the remainder out with a
7.5-7.9mm drill bit (5/16" will work) and tap with an 8mm tap.  Paint the
bare metal with your favorite black spray paint to prevent rust.  Thread an
M8x40 or M8x45 bolt into your newly tapped hole (with flat washer) and dry
fit with the lower clamp to make sure the new bolt is now long enough to
complete the installation.  Takes about 5 minutes per clamp with the right
tools and saves lots of swearing and aggravation under the car.  You may or
may not have this problem.....always check clamp fitments ahead of time.  SD
Steve D'Gerolamo - The Ultimate Garage
201-262-0412 / steved3@domain.elided / http://www.ultimategarage.com