Re: e34 cutting out, etc.

You first might want to check what the Check Engine code is--with the
ignition in position 1 (not running) tap the accelerator five times and
carefully watch the sequence of the blinking check engine light.  You can
look up what the diagnosis is in Bentley, or post it here (there might also
be a web site, but it escapes me).
At least you can focus your search then.

I had (have) a similar problem with an 89 535 involving low rev limitations,
and got back an "O2 sensor" error.  The problem is highly intermittent (once
every few months), and it improved after the shop reset the DME memory.

Sounds like you're replacing a lot of stuff in the hope that you'll hit the
target.  There's a decent chance here that your shop is not knowledgeable on
this issue, and you should do lots of research (try www.bimmer.org as well)
and perhaps try somewhere else before doing more work.

Blake
89 535 (w/ stuff), 93 525 (stock)