<E28> needs a new catalytic converter

The time has come that I was hoping to put off for ever.  I need a new
catalytic converter for my 86 528e.  I was driving to work a couple of days
when the pipe broke in front of the converter.  I had just replaced the rest
of the exhaust about six months earlier so that is still in good shape.

I got a price from my local BMW stealer about a year ago.  As I recall, it
was over $1300 just for the converter!  Way too much.  I Checked with
Bavarian Autosport and BMP Design.  They were both just under $400.  I also
checked with a local shop which came in at the same price.  Now this is a
thirteen year old daily driver with over 180K miles.  I don't need anything
fancy but then I don't want to degrade the car.  Am I going to have to spend
$400 for a new converter or is there a cheeper way?

Also while I am at it, I guess I should replace the Oxygen Sensor since I
have not replaced it in the last 110,000 miles that I have owned the car.  It
looks like I lucked out since all the sensors seem to run between $110 and
$145 except for my model.  It goes for $39.95.