re: the Acura vs BMW thread (vs Mercedes!)

Well, I've owned my 1995 740i for exactly one year to the day, and I just
totalled all my repair receipts for the car and it only came to ...$1581!
I was told to put aside $3000 a year by the people that sold it to me
(Select Auto in Alexandria Va.) because the car in their opinion was a bit
"over-engineered" and it would an expensive, but fantastic car to own.
Thanks to a few digest readers, I was able to save $1165 plus labor last
week on a catalytic converter that the dealer ended up covering due to an
obscure 8yr/80,000 mile Federal Emissions Warranty that a digest reader
tipped me off to, that I didn't even know about, nor did the dealer, that
comes with the car!  I bought it off a used "high line" car lot, not a
dealer.  I was today thinking about the guy who's considering buying an
Acura because the BMW's have a habit of being higher in maintenance
expense.  I have to admit  - if I didn't have a lot of free time to bring
my car to the repair shop (Excluservice in Rockville, Md - they're great)
due to my extremely flexible sales job, and if I didn't have an extra car
at home to drive when they were trying to figure out what was wrong with my
car a few times, I'm sure I wouldn't be so hot on keeping this car, nor
would I recommend anyone get one unless the potential buyer has easy access
to a loaner, and is extremely patient in terms of dealing with alot of
fussy repairs.  BUT, I wouldn't trade this old boat in for anything else,
even though I was tempted by an Acura  3.2 TL with the fancy Navigation
system all packaged in a great looking, though Honda-like looking car - for
the same $32,500 I paid for my 1995 740i last year.  I figured at the time,
this 95 740i luxo-barge cost $65,000 new, and I'm only paying $32,500 - how
bad could a deal could that be?  It handled great (the 740i) for it's
immense, and I mean, IMMENSE size, and the luxury options and huge amount
of room it had couldn't be beat.  PLUS, it had huge panache appeal -
something the Acura 3.2TL or any other Acura won't have when it's 4 years
old!  Not that I'm really into panache appeal  (lol).

I did look at a used 1997 CL500 coupe today at EuroMotors in Bethesda Md,
toying with the idea of trading in my 740i - until I saw the price - Mid
80's!!!!!!  As in $80,000 or more!  It only had 3000 miles and was mint,
but, don't these things ever depreciate in value?  he said it was about
$95,000 new.   A 1997 750i would only bring about $55,000 or so...  Why do
the used hold their value so much better?  This coupe was unbelievably hot,
BUT, my friends would kill me if I got a car this nice, and I have to
wonder how it really handles compared to my car.  I guess I'll have to
drive one when a cheaper, older model, maybe a 1995 S500 coupe comes into
their used car dept.  Then I'll issue my verdict.  For now, I'm happy as a
lark that I got away with only $1581 in repairs for my first year in this
sweet car.  I consider myself lucky!  I keep it in mint condition and hope
it stays that way... 72,000 miles and I'm just starting to break it in
(engine replaced at 37,000 mi - Alusil!)

Steve Robinson
1995 740i Aspen Silver/ Grey
1988 911 Carrera Venetian Blue/ Blue