Re: E28 tank capacity

Jim,

I also just recently COMPLETELY ran out of gas in my '88 535iA.
Completely means the engine started to miss 3 miles from the gas
station. Two miles out I couldn't go over 40mph. For the las mile I
couldn't get over 20mph. As I turned into the station, the engine
finally stalled and I just barely coasted to the pump island.  I
squeezed 59 liters into the tank including the filler neck.

Now I just need to watch for a clogged fuel filter and overheated fuel
transfer pump.

Erick Baumeister
Livermore,CA,USA