<E30>Oil pan gasket questions

Hi, Eric!

Several comments on your oil pan question:

1)  First, please note the series number in the Subject line.
    This helps those of us who skim a lot of these looking
    for the topics of interest.  Just a thought.
2)  This is a common failure, so count on it getting worse.
3)  The previous post was correct in it's conclusion:  replacing
    this gasket will not trigger additional failures.
4)  You will gain working room by removing two through-bolts
    securing the steering rack and letting it dangle.
5)  You may have to remove the power steering pump mounts
    and swing out of the way.
6)  It is not _necessary_ to loosen the engine mounts and
    suspend it from above, but if you can, do.
7)  You will have to remove the oil pump to disengage the
    oil pan; two 13mm cap screws in front and one 10mm on
    the back.  Obnoxious, but doable.
8)  If you are planning to own the car for a long time, put
    in a new oil pump - $150ish, and they _do_ wear out.
9)  Technically, you do not need to use a sealant on the
    gasket, but you will find it much easier to reinstall
    if you 'glue' it to the pan surface with a non-hardening
    sealant to keep it from dropping inside when you wrestle
    first the oil pump, then the pan back into position.
10) Can't tell from your address if you live in the Salt Belt,
    but if you do, or your ride did, you will want to clear
    all the pan bolt holes with a 6mm tap, and clean and lube
    the pan bolts as well.  The part that sticks up above the
    block will be rusty.

Any specific questions, drop me a note.

Later, Larry F.

>Date: Tue, 10 Aug 1999 21:12:31 -0400
>From: "Eric M. Hunt" <emh1@domain.elided>
>Subject: Oil pan gasket questions
>
>I have an '87 325iC with 150K.  The oil pan is slightly leaky and may be
>getting worse.  My question:
>
>Q:    Should one replace an oil pan gasket on this old of a car?  I have
>heard that if you replace the gasket, the "top end" or head gasket/valve
>cover gasket will then leak as a result?  Is this true?  Is this okay to
>do?
>
>Q:    When replacing the gasket, should a sealant be used?  I have
>purchased the factory, cork-type gasket.
>
>Thanks,
>Eric Hunt

Larry Franks
Issaquah, Washington