dimunition of value claims

Willy wrote:

>Does anyone have experience in getting car diminished value compensation >after a car collision repair?  I'm undergoing the hassles of collision >repair of my E46 ($11k worth) with AAA here in California, and AAA sticks >by the verbage that diminished value is explicitly NOT covered under
>my AAA policy agreement booklet.  I checked the policy books and I see >the exception clause that my AAA adjuster states.

I hate to say it, but if it is specifically excluded in the
policy then you have a rough road ahead...  Your policy states
that the insurance company (AAA) owes to put you back into the
condition you were in prior to the loss. If the repairs are not
done competently then you have an issue with the repairer. If
the repairs ARE done competently then I suggest the following
if you truly intend to sell the vehicle immediately.
  1) take the car to a dealership and have them give you a quote
     in writing on what values they would give you for the car in
     current repaired condition and an exact same " figurative"
     car that has not been repaired.  The difference between these
     values is your dimunition of value.
  2) Present this to your insurance company and advise that you have
     not been restored to pre-loss condition

If you do not intend to trade the vehicle immediately then you
have a fairly weak leg to stand on with respect to a DV claim..  Why should the
ins company pay you for today's " diminished value" when you my very well keep
the car 15 years....?

>Any suggestions in getting AAA or the other party's insurance company to
>compensate me for diminished value?

If the other party is at fault you may be able to make a claim with them
and have more success... As it stands I think the exclusion in your policy
is pretty clear it seems.... You may want to consult an attorney for the laws
in your particular state...

 >Or should I just take this a learning experience and dump AAA
>as my insurance carrier...plus recommend to others that they should NOT use AAA for
>their insurance needs?

yes, if you really feel that strongly....

Mark Williams
Claim representative for a major insurance company
Dallas, TX
91 ///M3