new to list / timing chains & belts for 318i's..

I posted earlier regarding being new to this list and looking for an 84-91 3
series and got several replies.  First of all, thank you to those that
offered the very useful advice.

I had one follow up question regarding timing belts and chains.  I was
basically deciding whether to go for a higher mileage 84 318 or a much lower
mileage 91 318.  I called a parts store and they said the 84 takes a timing
chain.  Is this correct?  I would assume the newer model (91) may take a
belt?  I was told that the belts should be changed at least every 60k... But
don't chains last longer?  What are the gudelines for the 84's timing chain?

Aside from this difference, which would be a better buy assuming they are
both in pretty good condition for their age?  An 84 318i w/ 165k for about
2-3k or a 91 318i w/ approx 80k for 5-6k?  I read something about the head
bolts breaking but not sure whether this was only for the 325.  Also read
something about the M42? gasket which could blow??  Not sure if this applies
to the cars I am looking at....

Thanks in advance

Lyle