Re: bmw-digest V9 #1186

<< What are the current feelings about when to change the timing belt on a
1990
 525i 5-speed with the M20 engine?  I've heard 50,000 and 60,000 mile
 intervals.

i have a 325iS with an M20. i replace my timing belt and belt tensioner every
60,000. ive seen them go 80,000+ before, but i wouldnt recommend doing that.
bent valves = no fun.

 Also, any suggestions on non-functioning backup lights when the fuses and
 bulbs are all good?

check the reverse light switch. mine was high up on the transmission tunnel,
yours may be the same. ive never been under an E34. it was easy to change
with hand tools. i had the same problem too.

Kyle B.
NCC