Lets short shift a Z3 using some shortened from above Z3 shift levers

  Although the following applies to the Z3, the idea, works for most BMW
models.

  For Rich Carlson's experience of us short shifting his
Z3-2.8 using some shortened from above M-Z3 shift levers connect to: <A
HREF="http://www.mz3.net/articles/17.html";>http://www.mz3.net/articles/17.html
</A>

  Last Saturday Alan and I short shifted Shawn Fogg's Z3-1.9 using a
shortened from above bent Z3-2.8 shift lever.  Rich was there to help out.
Shawn had a bent M-Z3 lever in his car with ERK.  The ERK is necessary to
obtain driveshaft clearance using this lever in a Z3-1.9.  The design goal
was to duplicate the throw reduction and force measurements using a bent
shortened from above Z3-2.8 shift lever without the ERK.  The stock Z3-1.9
lever is bent.  The stock Z3-2.8/M shift levers are not.  By shortening the
Z3-2.8 lever from above we duplicated the top to bottom ratio of the Z3-M
shift lever.  If the ratio is the same, the throw reduction and the force
measurements will be the same too.  They were.  The clearance from the bottom
of the selector rod to the top of the driveshaft with the Z3-2.8 lever is
just over 1/2 inch.  It's .2 inch on my '96 328is.

  Connect to: <A
HREF="http://www.unofficialbmw.com/images/z3-1.9data.jpg";>http://www.unofficia
lbmw.com/images/z3-1.9data.jpg</A>
 for the reduction / force data from this experience.

  While there: <A
HREF="www.unofficialbmw.com/images/">www.unofficialbmw.com/images/</A> , you
may want to check out z3shift1 > 5.jpg which shows you why the Z3-2.8/M
levers are straight and the Z3-1.9 are not.

 Ron@domain.elided  FLY BMW  Marlborough, CT
   <A
HREF="www.unofficialbmw.com/ronstygar.html">www.unofficialbmw.com/ronstygar.ht
ml</A>