Re: What are signs of timing chain tensioner failure?

> From: Danial Ma <danialma@domain.elided>
> Subject: What are signs of timing chain tensioner failure?
>
> I started up my E28 M5 this morning and it made a horribly loud clanking,
> clunking noise.  It went away after about 15 seconds so my first thought
> was that the tensioner had bled down overnight and pumped back up.  After
> work, it started up without noise.  I searched the archives but didn't find
> any descriptions of pending tensioner or rail failure.  So what's next?

there is a letter in the august roundel (p101) that describes exactly what you
do here.  the jist of it is that this is chain slap caused by tensioner
bleed-down, and that the solution is to always apply your handbrake before
letting the clutch out when parking (to prevent the car from rolling backwards
and counter-rotating the motor).

= Kevin Jay
  '96 328is, red/camel, 15K