Re: bmw-digest V9 #1180

Paul -

I've got an '84, so I figure the technology on yours is the same. What I
found on mine is that after a certain amount of usage, the center vent
slider can cause you to lose cooling! What happens is, that slider has a
circuit board underneath it with a continuous contact to the slide from
about 10% open to 100% open. As you move the slider through that range, it
keeps contact with the circuit (keeps it closed) - that's how they enforce
having the vents open at least 10% before allowing the compressor to run.
After a while, the conductor on that board wears off. When I turned the AC
on, I would hit the switch and slide the control full open, and it would
work for a few minutes; but as I drove, vibration would inch the slider back
a fraction, into the "dead zone" and suddenly I had no cooling. Try pushing
the slider back to about 75% open and see if that corrects your problem. If
so, you can then consider whether you want to get a new circuit board (your
air flow will be slightly less, but compared to the cost of replacing the
unit, you may want to just live with it - it's not a DIY, IMHO).

David Volkert
Houston
84 325e (original owner, I might add)