[E30][M42] Muffler question (replacing 'straps')

A simple question....

	Is it possible to replace the "muffler" straps on a '91
	318is WITHOUT replacing/removing the muffler itself ?

	It looked like a fairly simple operation,

	0) Notice the rusted rear muffler strap hanging loose
	   [And hope my car karma holds up the other strap
		until I can get it replaced ]
	1) get the parts (simple thanks to Bavarian Autosport)
	2) Get the car high enough off the ground (ramps) to get
	   to the muffler.
	3) Attempt to remove the rusted strap.....

	That's where I got stuck..... How do I remove the rubber
	ring that holds the strap in place AND put the new in
	with the muffler still in place ? Cutting it off looks
	easy enough but putting the new one in there doesn't...

Any suggestions from the non-chortling masses ?

Thanks. %-)

- -Andy-