Gas Needle

Hello to all,
I have a quick question and would appreciate any advice.  My problem is with
my gas gauge on my 98 328i.  I just filled up the gas tank yesterday and as I
was driving home from the gas station the needle drops quickly to the left
indicating empty and the low fuel light illuminates.  It stays this way for a
few seconds then just as quickly the needle swings to the right indicating a
full tank.  This keeps continuing as I drive happening every few minutes.
Thanks in advance to any suggestions.

Thanks,
Joe R.

1998 328i