Need an inexpensive car... What shoudl I get?

I am in need of another car for my significant other, I want to spend
between 5 and 10 grand and I am mostly concerned about it being dependable
and safe.  What are your recommendations?  Can I get a really old 735 that I
could fix up?  Just wondering.  She has an old Shitsubishi Eclipse that
needs to be put out to pasture.  Which cars last the longest, etc.  I would
let her drive my cars, but then again... Maybe not.  She isn't the best
driver.  She tends to bump things going rather slowly in reverse.  Go
figure...

Brent

'94 325is
'94 740il