Question: shaving R tires

Hi folks,
	What are the benefits of shaving R compound tires?
	For example, stock Kumho V700's come with 6/32 thread depth.
TireRack shaves them down to 4/32. Their explanation is that without shaving
the tires would 'chunk' and not last as long. However, the last time I
called they suggested that heat cycling the tires does enough good to make
shaving unnecessary.
	What's the digest consensus on heat cycling (yes?) and shaving
(no?).
	Are these procedures equally recommended for full blown racing vs.
autocrossing - that will be the primary use for my Kumho's?
	Also, any advantages to heat cycling tires at TireRack vs. going
through the drive/cool down process X many times that was described on the
digest in the past (what exactly was it)?

TIA,
alex
about to order 205/55/14 heat cycled Kumho's for my E30