Re: Tire size, 90BMW325is

Doug,

I have an '85 318i, and it came with 195-60R14 stock.  I believe that '86
and later E30s had 195-65R14 stock.

I did a "Plus Zero" tire upgrade and went to 205-60R14.  The tires are
actually a little larger in diameter than the 195-60R14 (they are about the
same diameter as the 195-65R14), but it didn't make a big difference, other
than putting my high-reading speedometer closer to reading reality.

I've seen people put 215-60R14s on an E30, but they look too big and can rub
(as you've found out).  My recommendation (which was provided to me years
ago by my tire supplier), is to go with 205-60R14 as the max size.  Of
course, keep in mind that different brands of tires vary in size, so one
brand's 215-60R14 may fit while another brand may not fit.

I've used Yokohama A-509 tires on my car for years now.  In size 205-60R14,
they do an excellent job.  They aren't all-season tires, but I've driven
them through four seasons without problems.  I know that there are better
winter tires out there, but we don't get enough snow to warrant their use.

A-509s are cheap.  I buy them for ~$70 apiece.  They handle better than the
Pirelli P-600s (which have a similar tread pattern), and are much cheaper.
I get 35-40k miles on a set, which consists of mostly highway driving.

Good luck,

Ron Buchalski