Factory CD Changer Audio Skips

Apologies if this brings up an old thread, but I've been away.

I installed a new factory 6-CD changer in our '98 528i in Sept, '98.
Worked great immediately, and we were pleased as punch until last
week.  Then the audio began to have short "holes" in the data, whether
the car is moving or stopped.  The radio works fine on
AM/FM/Weather/etc., so I believe it's the CD player itself.  We
removed the cartridge, cleaned all the CD's and replaced them.  No
improvement.  I've been trying to find a local shop to inspect and
repair the unit, but no success so far.  Even bombed out on the shop
recommended by the BMW dealer.

Question: is this common, and is there a conventional-wisdom fix?  Any
ideas?  I'm an ex-electronics tech and engineer, so I can probably
open up the case to look at a laser head or photosensor if I have to -
but I'll have no schematics and no good way to run or diagnose the
unit under power.

TIA for any help.

- --
Bill Gusky