e28 ignition problem: solved

hello:

a few weeks ago i wrote the list for ideas on an ignition problem
i was having with my '87 535is.  i had several responses, and at
least one writer requested that i tell him my solution once i found
the problem.  since i accidentally deleted this gentleman's email
address, im posting to the entire list...hopefully, its of general
interest anyway...

my car had no spark at the coil.  i went through the (excellent)
bentley troublehooting guide and found the reference sensor to be
faulty.  after replacing the sensor, i was suprised to find that
the car would Still not start...now there was spark, but very
weak.  back to the troubleshooting guide.  found the coil to be
questionable, so i replaced it...waste of money.  cleaned the
ground contacts and checked all the pins at the ecu harness...all
checked good.  decided there was nothing left to do but replace
the motronic...installed a used one and the engine fired right up.

still not sure why a sensor *and* the ecu would fail at the same
time, but glad to be back in my bmw after weeks of driving my
back-up '64 vw kg.  Thank You to all who took the time to offer
advice.

final question: can anyone suggest a use for my faulty motronic?
too light to use as a doorstop; does anyone buy/take cores for
rebuild?

kurt martin.