Dinan work questions

I have just come back from having some mods done to my 1996 328ic.  I was to
have the following three things done, 1. Dinan stage I Software Upgrade, 2
Cold Air Intake, and 3 the Free Flow exhaust.  Well they were only able to
do the Software & exhaust so far, and I have to wait on a part for the
third.  But as I drove home I didn't notice any form of change in the
performance.  If anything the car seemed more sluggish when I was in 5th
gear around the 2500 to 3800 RPM area.  Is this normal??  Am I looking for
something that really isn't ever going to improve??  Or Is the cold air
Intake going to bring it all together??

Any words of wisdom would help

bob