<e28> Exhaust mounting question

I am having a problem mounting my new exhaust on my '85 535i.  The problem is
with the pipe on the left, (the one which mounts with a thin gasket in
between two welded flanges).  No matter what I do, no matter how much I
tighten up on the bolts, I cannot get the gasket to seal.  Does anyone have
any ideas on how to get this to seal up?

BTW, does anyone know the reason for the design of the exhaust so that the
pipe on the right mounts with a completely different system (male and female
pipe w/ floating flanges and donut shaped gasket)?

Iz Lipschutz
'85 535i