<E30> '91 325iX Headunit Repair

While attempting to install a (supposedly) factory compatible CD-Changer
(Pioneer CDX-M30), I apparently shorted something, because the head unit
will no longer power on and the anti-theft indicator no longer flashes
(though I do have 12 volts at the "ground/ignition" connector AND the
"dimmer/memory" connector, as indicated using a VOM).

Can I trust a local repair shop to fix this unit? Should I take it to a
Pioneer warrantee depot (I assume it's a Pioneer since that's the type of
CD-Changer that it takes)? Does anyone know of repair shops that specialize
in BMW units? I really want to retain the factory appearence of the system.
Should I consider buying a new unit (if they are still available)?

I was attempting a "temporary" test installation before running all the
cables, to be sure that everything would work.

I attached the CD-Changer ground to the Radio Chassis Ground, which is also
the common ground for the speakers, and the CD-Changer power to what I
thought was a power supply at the radio for the CD-Changer, but turned out
to be the "Dot Matrix" connector (whatever that is). I then connected the
CD-Changer DIN plug. When I attempted to power it up, nothing would come on.

I know there is an anit-theft mechanism that disables the radio until it has
been left ON for one hour, but the manual says that only occurs
when there are 3 failed attempts to enter the security code. Is it possible
that I somehow tripped this security mechanism?

Radio Part #: 88 88 1 600 175P (InfraRed model)

Thanks for the help.

Larry Simmons
lsimmons@domain.elided
www.avantcom.com