<E28> Interior blower motor?

Last week, while fixing the neutral safety switch on my S.O.'s 1986 535,
I noticed through the slats in the middle of the dash what appears to be
a non-operational squirrel-cage blower, similar to the one I located at the
back of the engine compartment that I had to replace last year.

What does this blower do, and how do you get access to it for R&R?  I
tried and tried, but couldn't figure out how to get the middle part of
the dash, including the shifter console, to come loose.  TIA.

Rebel A. Cole
'86 535i (238,000 miles)