[E36] Air Conditioning Groaning Noise

Hi everybody,

Recently my car (1994 318i) has developed a problem with the air conditioner.

When I have my air conditioning on, and the car is stopped, after a few
seconds, when the car switches the air conditioning into the different gear
(I'm not sure what you call this), there is a groaning sound eminating from
the passenger side somewhere in the glovebox (maybe engine compartment)
area.  When I drive away, the groan will vary in pitch with my rpm... but
will disappear when the car switches to 2nd gear.  The A/C still blows cool
air though.

Does anybody know what is wrong here?  And is it costly to fix?

Thanks

Garson