Problem with my 14K mile '97 318tis

  Driving around one day, the ti suddenly lost power.  You couldn't get it
over 50 MPH on a level road.  It would go down to 20 MPH with any load.  If
you floored it in neutral, it would not go over 3,000 RPM.  Someone mentioned
that it might be a bad catalytic converter.  While installing the UUC Delrin
bushings in my car I tapped on the cat and you could hear a large piece of
something floating around in it.  The day before the problem the exhaust
started to resonate.  The problem turned out to be a defective catalytic
converter.

 Ron@domain.elided  FLY BMW  Marlborough, CT
   http://www.unofficialbmw.com/ronstygar.html