tire dressing - is it ok to use silicon based products? Help!!!

It was suggested to me 2 months ago that I call Larry Reynolds at Care Care
about tire dressings and he told me to use Black Again on my tires and
NEVER a silicon based product, and then to use Meguiars #42 Rubber
Treatment over that - which is a real pain to apply, as it's 2 different
applications and by then, by back is killing me just rubbing in the Black
Again, let alone having to go over the tires AGAIN with another
product...(the Meguiars).  Bottom line, I've been using this method
religiously for 2-3 months and my tires don't hold a black shine for more
than a day or so.  They look terrible, and I'm tempted to go back to a
silicon based product (they sell a 3M Product at a detail place I went
to...they highly recommended it there).  What's the general opinion on
this?  I tried Larry's "best products" and found them to be poor.  Any
advice?  I've heard of Stoner's products from the Roundel (am I remembering
the name correctly?) - anyone use these?  HELP!

95 740i with ugly greyish looking tires
88 911 with not so hot looking tires (they looked better with the old
silicon product I got from Super Track - "Tire Black"!)