Re: E36 A/C Question

At 10:37 PM 07/05/1999 -0400, bmw-digest wrote:
>Date: Sun, 4 Jul 1999 21:18:48 -0400
>From: "John Ward" <jtward@domain.elided>
>Subject: E36 AC question
>
>Hi I have a '92 E36 325i. Back in 1997 when I bought the car it had
>extensive repair to the AC system ($900) prior to me purchasing it. I have
>noticed lately it is not blowing that cool of air. I suspect it needs a
>recharge. How do I tell if it still uses the original R12 or if it was
>converted over to R134a. I am aware that I can purchase cans of R134a at an
>autoparts place for a reasonable price, while freon is tightly restricted.
>Where do I have to go if I need a charge of freon installed?

While I do not recall in what model year BMW converted the E36 to R134a,
there is a sticker on the cross member to which the fan shroud is attached
(I think it is on the right side of the car above the right headlight;
that's where it is on my 97 E36).  That sticker will indicate with which
refrigerant the system is charged.

If your car is charged with R12 and it needs repair, you can elect to
re-charge it with R12 after the service is completed or retrofit to
R134a.  Depending on the problem, retrofitting to R134a will be your best
bet.  Note there is more to a retrofit than merely changing the
refrigerant.  At the very least, the R12 service valves/ports will need to
be replaced or disabled, the lubricant will need to be replaced and any
damaged o-rings and/or hoses will need to be replaced with R134a-compatible
versions.

Malcolm Davidow
Dallas, Texas