E36 AC question

Hi I have a '92 E36 325i. Back in 1997 when I bought the car it had
extensive repair to the AC system ($900) prior to me purchasing it. I have
noticed lately it is not blowing that cool of air. I suspect it needs a
recharge. How do I tell if it still uses the original R12 or if it was
converted over to R134a. I am aware that I can purchase cans of R134a at an
autoparts place for a reasonable price, while freon is tightly restricted.
Where do I have to go if I need a charge of freon installed?

Thanks again,

John