E28 Leaking petrol tank. 533i

I came out this afternoon to my beautiful 533i only to discover a fuel
leak that seemed to originate somewhere around the fuel cap area, or a
seam on the tank below that.

I have the Bentley manual and the replacement job seems pretty
straightforward but if anyone has any additional tips or anything I'd
apprecite it before I screw things up.  Is it possible to weld this type
of thing if I know someone with the kit ?

By the way, I wrote recently about over heating problems on the same car
and got a lot of helpful info.  My mechanic, who I trusted up 'till
now,  was trying to take me for a ride when he suggested replacing the
fan (due to faulty clutch)  Roughly $440 all in.   My fix included two
new switches for the aux. fan and a new thermostat.  About $60.

Got to go, but helpful hints from my friends on the Net saved me a lot
of cash.  Thanks.

All the best - Damian Horner.
1983 533i