Re: E28 erratic idle

At 05:02 AM 6/30/99 -0400, Kim wrote:
>At the end of 1998, I replaced the exhaust on my 1985 535i with a
>Stebro system.  The O2 sensor was replaced at the same time.  Six
>months later, my idle has suddenly become erratic.  I have seen this
>behavior previously when the O2 sensor needed to be replaced.  I know
>components can fail prematurely, but this seems a bit early for an O2
>sensor.  Any suggestions or ideas?  Private replies are fine.

Kim,

Check for any tears in the rubber boots on the intake side (like the one
between the airbox and AFM).  I had a small tear, not noticeable unless you
really looked for it and that caused the problem you described.  Replaced
it ($15) and my idle came back to normal.

Hope this helps.

Jerry Chyo
'88 M5
'72 tii