Mis-Matching Tires

Re : Proposal to mount a diferent brand of tires on the back, compared to the
front.

I'm no expert, but have some experience. On my C36, Bridgestones on front,
Michelins on back, was terrible. Similar strange handling resulted from BF
Gooderich replacing Michelins, then BFG + Michelin! Car was just fine with
all Bridgestones, or all BFG, or all Michelins. A Michelin dealer tried to
explain it in terms of each manufacturers built in tire slip angle...OK..me,
I just drive the fool car, and mis-matches did not work! We're talking 225/45
x 17 fronts , and 245/40 x 17 rears, here, of course. (Standard sizes)

Incidentally, by far the best was Michelins, but even those cost 10 cents a
mile!! So now, I'm buying an M3 (different reasons), and plan to install 16"
rims and XGTH4's which will cut tire costs to 1 cent per mile. I'm not a good
enough driver to notice the lost performance, but I like the savings, and
what should be quieter, smoother ride, and higher gas mileage.

Doug C., Reno