Re:front end shimmy

In a message dated 6/24/99 8:00:10 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
owner-bmw-digest@domain.elided writes:

<< My E34 525i is experiencing a front end shimmy (vibration at around 80 -
100
 km/h). I just recenly replaced
 the trust arm bushings with the 750i bushings and had the tires balanced. Is
 there any other suspension
 components that I should look at that may be causing this shimmy at high
 speed?. Apprecaite any help.

1. Rack & Pinion rack "play"
2. Improperly balanced tires (not balanced to 110 mph)
3. Belt seperation/movement in one tire.
4. Tire that was previously improperly imbalanced, now out-of-round/worn
wrong.

Suggest re-balancing tires first on a Hunter of similar year-2000 balance
machine that can replicated "spin up" speeds to 110 mph. When you get up
there, you must have the tires/wheels PERFECTLY balanced, not just WELL
balanced.

Randy
cookies@domain.elided
San Diego Section