E30 plastic shrinking

Hi,

I have a 89 E30 320I/6, the car is kept in a garage for the majority of the
time and it only comes out when the weathers good, which here in the UK is
not very often.   I have noticed that the plastic centre console around the
handbrake area is starting to shrink and is now creaking quite badly.
Where this plastic part meats the rest of the console around by the gear
shift seems to be the worst affected area as I can now see down to the
carpet on the trans tunnel.

Does anybody know why this should be the case, I guess it's because of the
car spending most of it's time in the dark but what condition makes the
plastic shrink and would a replacement part be available from a dealer????

Any help or ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks

Matt Baker
89 320I/6