RE:<E30> back up light switch

> Date: Sat, 19 Jun 1999 20:40:44 EDT
> From: E30325is@domain.elided
> Subject: <E30> back up light switch
>
> my problem continues:
>
> every time i put my car in reverse, the fuse  blows and all of my guages
go
> out. the circuit calls for a 7.5 amp fuse; it consistently blows 7.5, 10,
and
> 15 amp fuses. my first thought was a short circuit at the taillight
assembly.
> everything checked out fine. today i replaced the back up light switch,
but
> to no avail. has anyone ever had this problem with an E30? could the wires
> going back from the switch be chafed and coming into contact with the
body?
> im really stumped here, and pulling the fuse every time i have to back up
is
> really becoming annoying. i GREATLY appreciate any help anyone can give
me.

This is easy to cure, just pull off the vinyl gear stick cover, there you
will see a cable,
this cable comes from the reverse switch, inspect the cable, chances are
that there
is a cut in the insulating material somewhere on the left side, use
insulating tape to
make sure the cable is insulated again. Problem gone...
This cable is feeding 12 volts to the rear reverse light when reverse is
applied and
uses the same fuse as your gauges. Everytime you shift to reverse the
damaged
cable makes contact with the chassis and your fuse is blown...
Good luck

Demetre