A/C retrofit kit

Hi,

I purchased my '86 325 this january and was unaware that the A/C was not
working. I checked the charge levle as it explains to in my chilton manual
and the system is bone dry. My question is has anybody had expierience with
the retrofit kits that you can buy fomr the auto parts stores? They cost
about $40 and they are supposed to upgrade your system to the new standards
and they come with a couple cans of recharging fluid. How difficult of a
task is this? Do I need any special tools for the job? or would this a job
better left to a professional? Thanks, you can email me direct or post it to
the list if you want.

Thanks in advance
Phillip Detering '86 325
beamer325i@domain.elided