E34 TOURING POOR AM RADIO RECEPTION

I have the above motor and problem. FM is fine but am is poor with lots of
ignition noise etc.
I think its due to poor signal on AM so the noise is more pronounced.  The car
has the aerial/antenna ? on the near side (UK CAR !!) rear load area window and
it the original 1992 BMW radio.  I cant see the release slots in the dash unit
for getting actual radio out just to plug in a whip aerial.

Dose this set-up have an amplifier/isolator inline the same as when the heating
element is used ?
Any other ideas ?

Garry
520iT 1992 133K Miles
513i SE 1991 107K Miles
TR6 1970 100K mile Back on the road after 13 years AT LAST !
     What have they don't to the gas while it was off the road ????