Re: bmw-digest V9 #1119

Hello:

Second owner of an 85 325e with 95K miles.   Car has an automatic
transmission.

Experiencing a problem which seems/sounds/"feels" drive train related.

Starting from a dead stop I can hear a high frequency squeak which then goes
away... next you feel it...kind of like a "klunk" or "thump/thump/thump" and
then it smooths out as the car continues to accelerate.   Less noticeable
when starting on level ground.  Not noticeable when starting downhill.  Very
noticeable if starting uphill.

Manual is pointing me to U-Joints -- seems to track with "squeak".  I
searched the BMW E-Mail archives thoroughly and could not find any reference
to U-joint problems.  Perhaps they go by a different name.

The drive train culprits that seem to get a lot of attention in the E-Mail
digest are the guibo and center support bearing.....Others?

Any experience out there that will help nail the diagnosis before I jack up
the car......
......appears the first step to get to the drive train is to remove the
exhaust system.....ugh!

Assuming it is drive train related, what else should I do "while I am there?"

U-joints: Repairable?, New item only?,  After market?, Junkyard item?

Would welcome any suggestions from the digest crowd.

Thanks,

Randy Joslin
85 325e