Re: E30 Driveability Problem

Hi Craig,

The black smoke indicates a rich fuel mixture, not lean. A good candidate at
this point would be the fuel pressure regulator, if it's stuck open then it
would allow full fuel pressure regardless of need. I don't think the
injectors are the problem as they would pretty much all have to be bad to
cause problems as bad as what you are describing. If you have access to a
known good airflow meter you might try that as well but my guess is still
the fuel pressure regulator. A quick check would be to pinch off the vacuum
hose while the engine is idling and see if it makes any difference.

If you have any additional questions let me know,
Mike B.