Which All-Season tires to buy?

I have talked it over with my dad, and he wants to put a better All-Season
M+S tire on our 89 325iX.  It has the 185 Mastercraft tires on it now,
though it was supposed to have 205s on it.  Not bad tires, but they look
kind of skinny and howl on the road pretty loudly.

So, I am looking for an excellent All-Season tire which will, above all, do
great in the snow, and handle decently.  Which tires should I consider, and
what size would be optimal for year-round use?  Stock 205, or something a
little skinnier (195??) so it will not float as much in the winter?

Reason we are not going with snows is because of the extra expense of
winter rims and/or remounting hassles.

Thanks!

Ben
89 325iX