e28 535i Gas smell, and a couple other things??

Hi everybody,

Recently on occasion, I've been able to smell gas from the cabin of the
car while driving. At first, I thought I was behind somebody else's car
with the problem. Then my son said "dad do you smell gas?". It doesn't
happen all the time, but it's happening more often now. It seems as
though things are starting to go wrong with this wonderful car i.e. (air
conditioning just went out, the heater seems to be on even with the air
temp dial all the way on cold, and now this gas smell). I have a very
good mechanic who knows mechanicals very well, but doesn't know the
electricals as well. Does anyone have suggestions on where to look or
what to do?

Regards,
Rick Paulin
87 535i
bmwcca #34441

P.S. I'm located South of San Francisco (Los Altos), and just North of
San Jose.