Transmission Oil Change

I've just changed the oil in the manual transmission
of my 1995 525i with 58,750 miles on it.  BMW recommends
that the oil be first changed at the second Inspection II, =

which will be in about another 6,000 mi.

I installed Castrol Syntec ATF, which meets both
Dexron III and Mercon specifications.  The result was
WONDERFUL!  Shifts are much smoother, the =

annoying clunk when engaging first gear while stopped
is gone.  I should have done this 30K ago.

If you have a BMW manual and if it's shifting is clunky,
you may well benifit from changing the tranny fluid now.
I'm completely happy with the Castrol, but some seem
to feel that Redline MTL is the best oil to use.  Redline =

says that it is only logical that their MTL, which has been
optimized to the lubricity needs of syncro rings, will
outperform ATF, which has been optimized to the =

lubricity needs of automatic transmission clutches.
It is hard to disagree with what Redline says; however,
since BMW says ATF, and since I'm disinclined to =

experiment unless I understand the details of what
I'm experimenting with (in this case, transmission
metallurgy and oil chemistry), I stuck with the ATF.

BMW is silent about which ATF.  The Castrol Syntec
lubricity modifiers meet the latest Dexron III and Mercon
specs and, as best I can tell, meet the needs of
my syncro rings very well.

In a few thousand miles, I'll know whether or not
it leaks past the seals!

Cheers

Brant