"low beam failure" warning

hi folks,

so far i've seen the "low beam failure" warning twice
on my E36 M3. the first time this happened, i couldn't
figure it out since both headlights and foglights seem to be
okay.

the 2nd time i saw the warning (a couple of weeks later),
i checked my headlights as soon as i got home and one of them
was off. however, after i turned it off and turned it back on,
both lights came back on.

i'd think that this is a bulb problem. but i'm not sure.
could it be the resistors?

has anybody else seen this symptom before? any insight?

thanks in advance.

/thai