newbie seeks "buying a used Bimmer" advice

Hi folks...BMW newbie here :-)

I need an inexpensive reliable car around $2000...hopefully lower

I never thought to check out Bimmers, but have found several that fall into
my price range.
All the ones I'm finding have about 150K miles on them.  What the average
life span of Bimmer motors?
The typical cars I'm finding are 1982-1985 318, 320, 325, 528, and a 733.
Any of these better than the others?
What things should I be looking for and asking about these cars?
Any help you could lend would be very appreciated!

thanks,
Jason Powell
Kenosha, WI